Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Left and Christianity

This is something I really do not understand.
There are some liberals I know that think having religion and being a liberal don't mesh. Usually I just roll my eyes and don't dignify that ignorance with a response. In my eyes, how can you be liberal and not have some sort of faith? How can you try and save humanity if you think nothing happens when you die?
The left is no Godless. Some of us have found Him, and it only makes me more sure that being a liberal is where I'm supposed to be.

Granted, I consider myself Christian - I have faith and follow the message, I'm just not so sure that churches do.

The whole point of Christianity is to live a life like Christ - to be "christ-like."

What does this mean? In my estimation it means forgiveness, love, charity, just plain helping other people. Liberals are called bleeding hearts - the ones who want to help everyone, help the people who can't help themselves, and give and give even when there isn't anything left. How do the ideas of liberalism and Christianity not mesh? They are magnets that should stick together unstoppably.

I know that not everyone thinks this, but I've heard it enough that it bored into my head and bothered me. I can completely understand how someone wouldn't find faith or God in the world we live in today - I'm not going to preach or push, I just wanted to say that there are some people who are lefties and Christ-ies. It guides what I do, and its guided me left. I would never want a liberal in the White House because I believe there must always be balance and moderation, but that's another long rant. There's only one issue where my politics trumps my morals - abortion. I'm pro-choice. The idea of the government telling me what I can do with my body literally gives me chills. Though I myself would never do it, I feel like others of a different mind should be able to make that decision for themselves. If they don't feel forced, they won't feel desperate. But that is a ramble for another time.

"Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith;
be courageous; be strong;
do everything in love."
-1 Corinthians 16:13-14

No comments: